Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankful for Trials?



We can rejoice too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirits to fill our hearts with his love. –Romans 5:3-5

Life is clearly not supposed to be a stroll down easy street. Many Christians think that they are being punished by God when they are having difficulties in life. It may actually be just the opposite- God wants the best for us and wants us to grow and mature so we can, in turn, help others to grow and mature. He does this by stretching us and by putting us in situations that are uncomfortable at times. It is during these times that we reach the end of ourselves and realize our need for Him to take over. God has been showing this to me lately and I want to share a bit of that with you.

We say “use me, God” but then complain when we encounter troubles. I recently read this passage from My Utmost for His Highest-

If you are going to be used by God, He will take you through a number of experiences that are not meant for you personally at all. They are designed to make you useful in His hands, and to enable you to understand what takes place in the lives of others. Because of this process, you will never be surprised by what comes your way.

So true! I have realized that I should not be thinking of myself when experiencing different situations in life. It may not be about me at all. Look for opportunities to grow. They are always there. You are going to go through trials. Don’t waste them and make them times of pointless, self-centered frustration- come out of them having learned something. 

The current sermon series at church is along these same lines. It is “The God Factor” and revolves around When you reach the end of yourself, you find the beginning of God. A great point from yesterday was that God made me for eternity, so he is willing to put me through some temporary things here on Earth to serve his eternal purpose. Jesus did not die a brutal death on the cross to give us comfortable lives of luxury on Earth. He did it so we could be restored to relationship with him, to glorify him here on Earth and spend eternity with him. 

A while back, I prayed genuinely that God would use me for his purposes and consequently began to experience strife on multiple levels in my life. Relationships that had always been great started to become difficult. Things that had previously been easy started to become challenging. I thought “what is going on?! Why is everything so difficult all of a sudden?” It is not fun to be in a time like this, but I realized that many things were being worked out of me. Pride that I wasn’t aware of was brought up and out of my heart. Selfishness was being exposed for what it really was. These times of difficulty brought out the things buried deep in my heart that were hindering me from growing and maturing in God. It is really something I am thankful for now, since I can look back and see how God needed to put me through those situations in order to make me useable in the future. Does this mean that I am perfect now and never selfish or prideful? Nope, but I can recognize those things quickly now when they start sneaking up on me. I learned that when you truly ask God to use you and work in your heart, he will do just that, and usually without any delay. 

So, if you are in a similar place and experiencing strife in your life, take a look around with a different perspective and try to see the opportunities for growth. Ask God to show you the things he may be working up and out of your heart in order to make you useable for his purposes. He is certainly faithful, and the temporary discomfort will be worth the eternal gain. As strange as it may seem, you will be able to look back and be thankful for the trials, and putting you through them was just another display of God's great love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment