Monday, July 29, 2013

Reality Strikes!

I'm not entirely sure what I expected today as we began the introduction to the year's curriculum, but I do know that is sounded more like heavenly angels singing in the background and much less like the whining that was actually taking place in the room. I already know that the most challenging part of homeschooling is going to be dealing with myself and my desire to have everything in order and done "correctly." Trying to read instructions for the steps of a project is difficult to do when you have a 4-year-old whining about why he can't get out the clay just yet and a 2.5-year-old running around the room with scissors trying to cut everything up. (Don't worry, they were safety scissors and he hasn't learned how to actually use them yet.) *Note to self- mark on next week's calendar to teach correct scissor grip to 2.5-year-old.


Thank goodness there are two intro weeks to break us all in to the routine. I learned a few things from today:

-Must do the majority of Boone's work while Lincoln is napping.
-Fun-looking supplies should be stored out of sight to avoid distractions.
-Read through the next day's lesson plan the night before.
-It is much more important to be present and interact with what they boys are currently doing than to read the manual three times while they work to make sure I'm doing everything right.
-Have cookie dough balls ready in freezer to enjoy after school time. (For me, not them!)
-Must chill out. This is Pre-K. Learning is through play, and should be fun. Grumpy mama is no fun. I don't want to be grumpy mama.

Overall, I think they enjoyed their first day, and I doubt they realized there was any significance to it. They probably just thought they were playing puzzles and coloring in the fun room I set-up for them. And that's how I hope every day will feel to them from here on out

The moment he's been waiting for! Finally got to open his alphabet puzzle!
Linc has one too! Gotta be just like big brother! Found this one in Target's $1 bin.




No comments:

Post a Comment